The first time I mention to anyone I know in America that BBQ sauce belongs with bacon and eggs they look at me like I’ve lost my mind! Then I make it for them and they are instantly converted. This combination was a ‘go-to’ for me when I lived in Australia but not the healthiest option for breakfast, more of a hangover remedy. I decided that I wanted to recreate those flavors but make a healthier version.
Enter – the Best Aussie Bacon, Egg & BBQ Sandwich.
You will need
- Individual Ciabatta rolls or any bread roll of your choosing. I just like the texture of ciabatta.
- Turkey Bacon – laid out on foil on a baking tray and broiled on both sides until crispy. You could substitute for a vegan bacon like this one by theedgyveg.com.
- Fried organic free range eggs. I buy mine from our local farmers market. Or if you eat a plant base diet you could try vegan scrambled eggs, this recipe from hotforfoodblog.com is great!
- 1 slice of aged swiss cheese (or vegan cheese). I like to place the cheese on the bottom half of my sliced roll and place under broiler to melt.
- 2 teaspoons of BBQ sauce either bought or homemade (I am working on a recipe which I will share when I have nailed it)
- Fresh organic arugula or as my friends Down Under call it ‘rocket’
I like to layer 1 piece of bacon on the cheese side of the bread, add a teaspoon of sauce, then my egg (or 2 if you’re really hungry), then more sauce, then the last piece of bacon followed by arugula. Squash it all together in the roll and devour!